Friday, October 06, 2006

Arrival in Kuwait

So here I am in Kuwait. At the airport, in the arrivals lounge, one of the first people I see is a woman carrying a sign saying “All US military personnel.” In the build up to the 2003 Iraq war, a third or maybe a half of the country - the uninhabited desert part - had been blocked off and reserved for the American military. I wonder if it's still like that.

My first impressions of the city are that it's planned for a population much bigger that the one it has. On the way to the airport, I travel along 4 lane highways and see only very few cars. Later after arriving at the hotel, I go for a walk around, and again, see wide roads but very few cars and people. Actually, I suppose its like that because its Ramadan and the sun was about to set so people are at home with their families. Anyway, it looks like a very well planned, neat and compact city. While walking around my hotel, I see a Roman Catholic Church close to the beach, and about 200 people standing outside queuing to enter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home