Saturday, October 07, 2006

Brazil, Liberation

The Brazilian Football team are in Kuwait. They have a match against the Kuwaiti team. I went to the stadium this evening to try to get tickets, but a policeman told me they had all been sold out. There were a lot of people outside the stadium, and I saw several Kuwaiti youngsters wearing the Brazilian team’s jersey which seemed a bit bizarre.

On the way back from the stadium to my hotel I saw a sign on the side of the road showing the Kuwaiti, American, British and Australian flags. Above the four flags is written: “Friends and Allies forever,” a reference to the liberation of Kuwait. I asked a Kuwaiti guy I met about that the next day, and he said something like, of course, it's true, but when our oil finishes, they can remove the forever from the sign.

I've seen two other things related to this liberation of Kuwait. One is a huge tower dominating the skyline called "liberation tower." Secondly, the newspaper I get delivered to my room – Arab Times - describes itself as "The first English language newspaper in free Kuwait."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home